Build Or Buy Batten Board Shutters
Batten board shutters are definitely a great way to enhance the style and appearance of your home. They are most commonly constructed by holding three vertical boards using two horizontal boards. If you are trying to decide whether to build or buy batten board shutters, you have to consider whether you have the expertise to work with wood, and how experienced you are with wood working.
Although building batten board shutters can be relatively easy for those DIY experts, you also have to bear in mind whether you have the time to spare to buy or gather materials and actually mount them together. You may also want to consider the availability of resources. Building batten board shutters would require very common materials such as a waterproof wood glue, nail gun, wood (or vonyl board), tape measure, paint, and wood stain. So, if you have these materials in your own home, then don’t be afraid to try new things and DIY!
For those who are comfortable working with DIY projects, perhaps you can consider building your own exterior batten board shutters. Building batten board shutters is quite easy.
The following is a step-by-step guide in how to build batten board shutters.
- Take your tape measure and begin measuring your windows.
- Using the measurement of the height and width that you have obtained, purchase wood from your local hardware or home depot store. Have the wood cut according to the measurement of your windows.
- Lay your boards side-by-side on a flat surface and glue them using waterproof wood glue.
- Next, beginning from the top to the bottom, measure between 8 and 12 inches to find out the exact location to attach the battens. Have them glued together. You can then attach the batten to the boards using a nail gun.
- Finally, paint your shutters and use waterproof outdoor stain to for added strength and durability.
Building batten board shutters is pretty simple. However, buying one is also inexpensive. In fact, board and batten shutters are a good choice if you are on a tight budget. So if you must decide, go for the decision which you find is comfortable and that which can actually provide you with a sense of fulfillment.